The Author is David Reed, a commercial pilot for over 40 years. Over these four decades he has had many events occur, some interesting, some exciting, a few that were frightening and a lot of misadventures. Every story in this blog is true.

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Another typical night






Let me tell you a true pilot experience, a typical day at the office for me. I promise I will not tell you about the terror when a passenger in 44-B sneezed, as some popular aviation magazines do. They often publish articles discussing events in the life of an airline pilot. Many eager readers turn the pages in anticipation of reading a hair-curling adventure of an actual pilot’s experience.
As a curious pilot, naturally I wondered what kind of near-tragedy would unfold as I read. In the first article, the pilot of a Boeing 777 preparing to depart London for New York encountered a two-fold mishap. In London, he waited for the airplane’s windshield to be cleaned and then (gasp!) nearing New York he almost had to enter into a holding pattern. Huh? Where’s the rest of the story? I flipped the page. That’s it? Well the second article should be better: an airline pilot described how she flew into Cleveland and (here we go) a small airplane flew by. No, not close by, it just flew by. Nothing more. I stared blankly at the words. What did they learn about flying from that? What made me cry was the writers of these stories received a paycheck for the submission.
            I believe my story is a bit more enthralling, and here it is, free of charge. I was assigned to operate Flight 744 from St. Louis to Philadelphia, on to Richmond, Virginia, and return to St. Louis. The airplane was an old workhorse, a Metroliner, long past it’s prime as a small airliner. It was gutted of everything inside so a maximum number of boxes could be carried. The paint was dirty and stained with oil, grease and spilled fuel. The tires were fresh, but there was a sizeable puddle of Jet-A fuel under the airplane from leaks in the fuel tanks. The cockpit seats were thread-bare, any sense of comfort long departed. The smell reminded me of an airplane in the Smithsonian Museum. Everything was the same as long ago. Cockpit panel edges worn of paint, instrument gauges yellowed from age, glare shield held together with bits of duct tape. The control wheel and throttles were well worn, the hands of a thousand flyers having polished the grips smooth. If you took a deep breath, the aroma of grease, old engine oil and Jet-A vapors wafted through the air. Add to this human sweat from hours spent sweltering in the hot summer sun, french fries lodged into unseen crevasses, spilled coffee, old leather, and dirt from ages past, and you get a sense of my “office”. It smelled wonderful.
The first half of the flight proved uneventful, just the way we like it. We staggered up to 21,000’ into the cooler air above the summer clouds. The old engines were well maintained. They ran smooth and powerfully, the silver propellers a blur just a few feet behind my window. We made good time, the westerly trade wind helping us along as the engines were tweaked at redline. Two-and-a-half hours later, we blazed into the Philadelphia area at maximum velocity. No fancy autopilot here, it’s all done by hand and the plane would communicate to you through the control wheel and throttles.
Landing at North Philadelphia, we used the entire runway as usual. The Metroliner loved runway. We unloaded some freight, closed the airplane up, the copilot got the clearance while I brought the 2200 horsepower Garrett engines to life.
We departed Philadelphia into wet skies, the cool evening air causing the lights of the vast city to shine bright and clear until jagged clouds enveloped us. It was a short flight down the Chesapeake, and we landed in a rainy Richmond, Virginia. I call in range and a sweet, distant voice answered through static.
As we parked at the private terminal, the fuel truck pulled up and began refueling the plane. I had ordered the fuel prior to landing, but made the mistake of not confirming it with the guys doing the actual refueling. I nodded, gave them a quick “Hey,” and headed back to unload the freight.
After finishing, we dashed inside the nice, dry terminal. We shared jokes with the pretty receptionist while sipping hot coffee and tried hard not to stare at her incredibly long legs. Signing the fuel receipt, we returned to the plane through the foggy drizzle on the ramp and started up the engines.
I taxied away from the building to a remote part of the ramp, preferring to do my checklists there rather than deafen everyone with our screaming Garrett engines, possibly the loudest this side of Mars. We ran all the checklists in preparation for departure. During these checks, I noticed fuel levels were lower than expected, and after a quick math calculation, nope, it’s not going to be enough to get us to St Louis. Curses!
            We taxied back in and added more fuel. Apparently, our request for 340 gallons somehow turned into 240 gallons. Sending your voice by radio waves through rain and gloom of night to a cheap receiver in an office sixty miles away wasn’t always the clearest way of communicating. The additional fuel augmented the fragrance of Jet-A while humid, hot night air added just a touch of mold inside.
In true Richmond fashion, they had us on our way again in no time. We repeated the checklists. Approaching runway two, we were cleared for immediate takeoff. We squared up with the runway, released the brakes and our now empty aircraft leapt forward as power was applied. We raced down the dark runway, lifted off, made a steep left turn to a heading of 240, and were on our way. Climbing above the rain clouds to 18,000 feet, we double checked our ground speed against fuel burn and distance. All was as it should be, so we settle in for the three-hour flight home.
We droned and droned endlessly along. Copilot Jahrid played Solitaire on his iPad while I filled out the flight log and checked the receipts. The autopilot can hold heading and altitude, but nothing else. Good enough for cruising across the Appalachians and then the flat plains of the Midwest.
With paperwork complete, Jahrid took over the flying duties while I cracked open a book "Submarines at War” a perfect ‘in-flight’ read. I glanced up every so often, scanned the gauges, looked out at the sky which was still clear, with a bright full moon over my left shoulder, then returned to reading. The cockpit lights were dim, but my reading light, old and yellowed, was sufficient for its purpose.
Jahrid and I talked about the usual stuff: food, airplanes, women, airplanes, and food. Approaching St Louis, I fiddled with the ATIS, a frequency where the current weather at your airport is broadcast. Through the static, I barely heard our destination's weather: sky obscured, visibility less than 1/4 mile. Ahhh, shoot.
I checked Cahokia Field, an airport not far away on the Illinois side of the river. Three miles with 400' overcast. That’s good. I called St Louis approach on the second radio, tell him I'm still with Kansas City Center, but what's the visibility at Lambert? He said it's ¼ mile, but Spirit was saying the RVR (runway visual range) was 3000 feet, and people were getting in. Hot damn, home-base it was.
I finished my thermos of now cold coffee. The caffeine taste, now rich from ten hours of aging, hits like a cold slap in the face, perfect for this late hour. I pulled out the approach diagram and review it with Jahrid. We would fly the precision approach into Spirit Airport, and if we missed, we’d hop over to Cahokia and call the wife for a ride home. I knew she’d be thrilled to get out of bed at midnight, and drive an hour to pick up her loving husband and his co-pilot. It’s a flawless plan. 
I took over control of the airplane (we’d been trading on and off over the last three hours) and got my seat situated just right, becoming one with the airplane. Speak to me, girl. How are you doing? We got vectored past East St Louis, across the Mississippi River, past the slumbering neighborhoods of Crestwood, Kirkwood and Manchester. One last turn onto the approach behind two corporate jets with their high-tech avionics and fancy autopilots.
Our airplane was entirely old school in its technology. The autopilot had no navigation capability at all, so this approach and must be hand flown. The insides of the clouds raced by the window, illuminated by our landing lights. I nursed the power back, called for approach flaps and reduce to 175 mph.
I was focusing hard on the gauges, holding the control column in my left hand, the throttles in my right hand. Sometimes I used both hands on the control column because the airplane flew like a truck. The manufacturer made the plane bigger and heavier but didn’t increase the size of the controls, so they’re quite heavy to move.
Inbound course was 079 degrees. I held it steady on the course. Five degrees right. Now seven. Back to five.
"Glideslope alive," Jahrid called, then "One dot below."
"Gear down, flaps half, landing checklist," I said and he got it all accomplished.
"Three green".
"Three green indicated."
"Flaps half."
"Flaps half."
"Lights?"
"All on, strobes off."
"Complete to full flaps."
Down we went, the clouds and fog around us illuminated by the landing lights, rushing past at 150 mph now.
Jahrid called out, "Thousand above, on course, on glideslope, speed 150."
Five right, two right, easy on the pitch, hold her steady. We were coming down the ILS at over 800 feet per minute, traveling forward at 220' per second. This could be a bit unnerving, considering you can only see ten feet in front of you despite the bright glare of the big landing lights on the wings. You're working hard to keep it on the electronic glideslope and approach course. The closer you get, the more sensitive it becomes and therefore the harder it is. 
For the average person, this is insanity and no place for rational people to be. For pilots like us, we wouldn't want to be anywhere else. That's what people don't know or understand about pilots. We love the calculated risk. It was a source of pride in our work.
"Five hundred above, on course, slightly low, 152," Jahrid said.
The approach gets very sensitive. One right, on course, two right, back to course. Easy.
"One hundred above, on glide path."
I held it steady.
"Minimums, approach lights 12 o'clock," Jahrid announced.
I glanced up and saw the fog flashing and nothing more.
"Green lights! Runway in sight," Jahrid called.
“Got it! Full flaps!” I called, easing a little power off. We were over the runway now, so I started to flare, eased the power back more, held the centerline, and with a squeal of rubber we're on. Lowered the nose, then into reverse, we started to slow as I worked the rudder to keep her on the centerline.
 "Ninety knots," Jahrid called.
We brought the propellers to low rpm and rolled to taxiway A3. Tower asked us to report when clear. They couldn't see us for all the fog. We exited, called clear and taxied back down the taxiway. Hooting and hollering, we were grinning with excitement at having successfully pulled that off. 
"Man, that was close!" I stated the obvious.
"I didn't think we'd ever see that runway!" Jahrid laughed.
"When you called the approach lights in sight, I couldn't see anything but fog!" I said.
"I had 'em, then I lost ‘em, then I had ‘em again!"
We parked, shut down, collected our things, called dispatch, sent a report to maintenance, put the paperwork in the tray, and headed to our cars.
The night ended with our usual wave, "See ya tomorrow," and another day at work was in the logbook.